There are actually quite a few photo contests around the world today. Have you ever thought of entering a photo contest? If your photography seems to be on par with winning photos, here are some tips for entering a photo contest:
Below are some standard rules that you can tweak as needed depending on your unique photo contest:
All photos must be original work, taken by the entrants. No third party may own or control any materials the photo contains, and the photo must not infringe upon the trademark, copyright, moral rights, intellectual rights, or rights of privacy of any entity or person. In other words, the photo you enter better be your own, or you could run into some serious problems, legally.
Here is a list of rules that usually required:
- The photo must be in its original state and cannot be altered in any way, including but not limited to removing, adding, reversing, or distorting subjects within the frame.
- Violators will be removed from the contest, stripped of any prize(s), and banned from entering future contests.
- Entries will not be accepted unless submitted via the official contest channel. Entries not submitted through the proper channel will be deleted.
- Entries will be judged by the [Company]. All decisions are final. The Company reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is deemed inappropriate or does not conform to stated contest rules.
- By entering the contest, entrants agree that photos submitted can be used by the [Company] for advertising purposes.
- Submissions will not be accepted once the deadline lapses.
- The prize must be collected by the winner and is nontransferable.
- The winner will be contacted via the email address provided during entry. If no response is received after [three] business days, a new winner will be selected and the previous winner will forfeit all rights to the prize.
- The contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- If you’re using entry forms like those offered by Submittable, you can include language at end of the form asking entrants to confirm that they have read the rules and regulations by clicking the submit button.
Have I ever entered and won a photo contest? Why, yes I have. I have entered the local county fair one year, and was already working for a photo store and had pretty good knowledge of what they might be looking for, and took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
Then, at some point, I was asked to be a judge for a photo contest. The rules were already laid out, so, I, along with another photographer, judged the contest. Now, that was tougher than I thought, because they had professionals enter the contest as well, and when we did not vote on a particular persons photo, he registered a complaint with the people who sponsored the photo contest, saying we did not know what we were doing, because, it was obvious to him, he should have won.
So, the point to this is that there will be people, always, thinking they should have won the prize, when in reality, they are no where close to winning.
I entered an international contest as well, going against all the people in the world, with close to 10,000 entrants, and I ended up in third place. I won (now this goes back a long time ago) a Vivitar darkroom projector. I did not have a dark room, so, I sold the prize. But, the recognition was cool, because I saw them using my photo in some of their advertising.
I would love it, if my readers entered contests, and shared their results with us.
Here is a list of 20 photo contests for the year 2021:
- 1. iPhone Photography Awards
- 2. ND Awards
- 3. International Photography Awards
- 4. Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
- 5. Communication Arts Photography Competition
- 6. Moscow International Foto Awards
- 7. Nikon Small World
- 8. Monochrome Photography Award
- 9. Sony World Photography Award
- 10. International Landscape Photographer of the Year
- 11. Life Framer Competitions
- 12. LensCulture Portrait Awards
- 13. PHmuseum Photography Grant
- 14. World Press Photography Awards
- 15. Istanbul Photo Awards
- 16. BigPicture Natural World Photography Awards
- 17. GuruShots Photography Contests
- 18. Aperture Portfolio Prize
- 19. MonoVisions Photography Awards
- 20. BJP International Photography Award
Note: You can click on the one that interests you, and it will take you to their page. Try it.
Photography contests are a great way to find out if your images are up to scratch. By taking part in these competitions, you can win big. Either cash prizes, camera equipment, or having your work exhibited.
Even if you gain no financial benefit, having your images posted on the competition’s website has incredible benefits.
Here are some more winning photos:
You can almost feel the earth tremble with the massive footsteps of an African elephant as it returns home with its herd after drinking at a marsh in Kenya’s Maasai Mara National Reserve. Photographer Manoj Shah placed his remote camera on the ground where he thought the elephants would pass, then tripped the shutter while staying a safe distance away. “If I tried to take the picture lying down, most likely I would not be able to get up again,” he quips. A lifelong photographer, Shah speaks almost mystically about his quest to document this majestic species in decline. “My daughter worries that the elephant will be just a memory, a dream where they will walk on Earth at peace, as they were born to do, but kept alive only in our minds.” Moved by the animal’s power and frailty, he warns, “Their future is in our hands.”