AN EDITORIAL ON THE NEW CAMERAS FROM THE BIG CAMERA MANUFACTURES, AND WHAT IT MEANS TO PHOTOGRAPHY:
BIG ADVANCES IN PHOTOGRAPHY! DOES IT JUSTIFY THE BIG PRICES?
I have been in the camera industry, either selling, taking pictures, and even doing this amazing blog, watching all the manufactures battle it out for supremacy in technology. It has been fun to watch the new developments in the last couple of years especially to see the rapid advances in technology.
IS THERE A BIG WINNER IN THE TECH WAR?
IS THERE A CLEAR WINNER IN THESE BRANDS?
Good questions and my opinion and my answers are:
- The big winner in the tech war in the camera industry is the Photographer
- Is one brand better than the other in creating the “SUPER” CAMERA? And my answer is NO.
Because I sold cameras for a long time I have a hard time coming out and saying that one brand is better than another. So, how does that help you, the photographer, pick which camera is better for you?
If you know photography good enough to understand all the new advancements of the above 5 cameras (and there are other camera manufactures you could look at too), then as you read all the features they have, there are definitely some features that should excite you.
I do not have a favorite camera so I can be totally unbiased, but as I looked at some of the features of these cameras, there was something in each one that blew my mind, and got me way excited to buy that brand. So, I think I would like to own each one of the above 5 cameras. That won’t cost much, right?
Let’s look at the features of some of these cameras, and I will tell you what got me excited about each one:
OLYMPUS OM – D
- Olympus has always had a well built camera.
- Price on camera body:: $999.95
- 121 Cross phase focus points.
- Incredible, highly rated image stabilizer built in to camera body
- Weather sealed for maximum wear
- 3.0″ Vari-Angle Touch LCD
- 10fps [H] mode 6fps [L] mode mechanical shutter
- 30fps [H] mode 10fps [L] mode silent electronic shutter
- 4K video recording
WINNING AND EXCITING POINTS FOR ME:
Have you ever felt an Olympus camera in your hands. Find one, feel the construction. And you will know you have a winner. Motor drive capable of 30 frames per second, or 10 frames a second in silent mode. WHAT! Thank goodness it does not have film in it. And the price alone has to be one of the big advantages to this camera.
- 45Mpixel sensor
- 120Fps in burst mode with reduced sharpness
- Built-in GPS
- To avoid the chip shortage, Nikon has developed their own chip.
- Built extremely well.
- 8Kvideo recording
- Priced at between $6,000 to $7,000 dollars (not really available yet, so price is uncertain)
- New style locking flap for the two CFExpress memory cards.
WINNING AND EXCITING POINTS FOR ME:
The price of this camera has not been set in stone yet. There will be a few cameras that come to the US before the end of the year, but, mostly will not be available until 2022. In true Nikon Fashion, it seems they wanted to outperform most of the other brands out there, although, some things are just getting out of hand. Like the video shooting 8K. I hope somewhere somebody says, that you can’t tell the difference between 4K and 8K. And some optometrists are reporting that your eyes can’t see anything sharper than 4K. The other thing I like is with the chip shortage that is going on, some manufactures are starting to make the chips themselves. That way, production should be better. The new screen on the back of the camera is a new “articulated” screen. Yet to see it, but, I think that will be amazing.
Pentax K3 – III
- Uses Pentax KA mount, the same mount it has been using for over 30 years, and all those lenses will fit this
- Full frame DSLR, slightly bigger than the others. Feel is good.
- Built-in sensor cleaner.
- ISO up to 1,600,000
- In-body image stabilizer – originally developed by Pentax
- 5 different auto exposure points
- 5 different user exposure modes
- Flash sync speed at 1/200
- Priced at body only at $1995.00
WINNING AND EXCITING POINTS OF INTEREST FOR ME:
Pentax is one of the oldest camera manufactures in the world. They have a reputation for extremely well built camera and lens quality is more than amazing. If you would like to do more photography with natural light, then this one is the winner, with an ISO setting from 100 to 1,600,000! This camera is not a mirrorless camera, and maintains the bigger size sensor. There are people who don’t like holding a mirrorless camera because they are too small and hard to hold. This camera seems more traditional in size and design. Pentax was one of the first to put their image stabilization system in the body, and not on the lens. Every manufacture does that now. Just that Pentax keeps improving on their original design so it seems ahead, in technology of the image stabilizer.
SONY A7 -III
- 24MP sensor
- Fast Hybrid AF with 693 phase-detection and 425 contrast-detection AF points
- High-speed continuous shooting of up to 10fps with AF/AE tracking
- 4K video
- ISO reading from 50 – 204,800
- 2 SD memory card slots
- Uses standard E-mount lenses. Lenses from Europe will also fit this camera
- Longest battery life on all cameras
- Articulated rear screen with tilt
- Priced at $1899.00 for the body only
EXCITING POINTS OF INTEREST WITH THE SONY CAMERA:
Sony has not been in the camera business that long, but, has done some really smart things with their cameras. First of all, they didn’t come up with some strange lens mount, they used one that other camera manufactures use. So, there are several lens companies in Europe that their lenses will work on Sony. To think that I can get a Carl Zeiss lens to work on a Sony is really exciting. The other thing I like about Sony’s thinking is the Auto focus sensor has 3 different types of auto focus, with a crazy amount of sensor points. That means the AI in the auto-focus system is real good. And finally, the way their screen works on the back of the camera is articulated and tilts in several directions. Seems that would be a very convenient feature that a lot of the others miss.
- High Image Quality with a Back-illuminated Stacked 24.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor
- Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 1,053 AF Points featuring Vehicle Detection as well as Eye, Face, Head, and Animal Detection
- The First EOS Digital camera to feature Eye Control AF
- Uniques new Auto exposure modes: Includes: “Fine Detail”, “Monochrome”, “Faithful”, “Neutral”, and 3 user defined modes.
- LCD screen with “vari-angle” viewing.
- Built-in WI-FI and Bluetooth
- Priced at $5999.00 body only
INTERESTING POINTS OF THIS CAMERA I LIKE:
Canon has been working on the “Ultiimate” camera for some time. I think when Sony came out with their new “flagship” camera, they wanted to UP them a lot. And they did come out with truly unique features. However, their price on this camera should include: To take away the loneliness anytime mode. Priced at $5999.00, it truly should be set for a few years as the ultimate in features. This camera has some unique settings. First of all, special autofocus mode that works best with faces, animals and eyes, and more. What a system. Then the little dial at the top that has the different exposure modes. What is “Faithful” mode? And what kind of exposure does that do? Does it show people from the other side? Can’t wait to see what these new settings are. I like that it has a Monochrome mode. How easy is that to do black and white just by putting it on a setting in your camera. This camera is just really impressive. See: https://123photogo.com/2021/09/18/new-canon-eos-r3-now-available/
My goal in this blog today was to show you that every camera manufacture has some special points to their camera systems. And you should just see which spec or feature you like. They are all really good cameras. But, don’t be biased towards any brand, be biased about the features you want.
Photographic inspirational thought for the day:
There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.Ansel Adams
There are over 1500 different subjects of photography on this website. If there is a particular subject you want to look for, to help you out with your photography, try using this amazing search engine to find the subject you want: