* WHAT IS MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY?
* WHAT IS STILL PHOTOGRAPHY?
Macro photography is one of my favorite things to do in photography. To see a world that most people don’t really see. The close-up photos that show detail of things so small we miss to the naked eye.
One of the most popular things to photograph in macro mode is flowers (like that one above). There are several ways to take macro photos. Let’s go over them all:
- Of course the most convenient way to do macro photography is with a “macro lens”. This is a lens that can focus extremely close to a subject, when in real life, the closest you can focus on a subject with a normal lens is 1 1/2 feet from the subject. You will notice the macro lens will focus down within an inch or three. All camera manufactures have a macro lens in their lineup, and may offer a few choices in magnification.
- The next way to get macro lens, is to use a “close-up” filter set:
Each close up filter is a different magnification to get closer to the subject. And the closest filter is the number 10. You can also add 2 filters together, to obtain a certain magnification. There is a problem with using close-up filters if you stack them is that the sharpness of the image is usually not sharp. That might be why they cost only around $20 – $30 for a set of 4. They are just not sharp as a macro lens, BUT, it’s usually not so bad that the normal eye sees a huge problem. Experiment with them and see what you think. I have used them with great delight.
- The last thing that is available for macro work is the “extension tubes”. And that is also a set of 3, usually, and there are no optics involved, so usually you do not degrade the lens optically.
The problem that I know of right now with using extension tubes is that they provide the linkage between the lens and the body. But, they usually do not provide the linkage for the autofocus system. So, you would need to manually focus your lens through this device.
These are precision instruments and good ones (including generic brands) will run in the $50 to $80 range to keep the lens linkage working.
So, after reviewing these 3 ways to do macro photography, the macro lens is obviously the best way to accomplish your macro photos.
Still life photography groups several ideas: 1- Close-ups of items, and 2- a setup of posed items.
Example of still macro work:
So the above photos are a combination of still photography / macro photography. You actually pose the items, and that is why it is called “still macro” photography.
Still photos that are not macro photos, look more like this:
So, in this particular blog, we wanted to focus on macro photography and still photography all in one. Posing subjects that are small, and getting close-up of the items and using the macro lens. Here are some more great examples: